George Mason University Housekeeping and Apparel Worker I in Fairfax, Virginia
The George Mason University Office of Housing and Residence Life (OHRL) invites applicants for a Housekeeper opening. The working hours for this position are weekdays, from 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.; with a rotating weekend day, 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The Housekeeper, with supervision, performs general custodial services as directed. Partial listing of duties include (a complete work profile will be provided to applicants selected for interview):
- Cleans, vacuums, and mops common areas, hallways, and stairwells;
- Cleans laundry rooms to include, but limited to mopping floors and wiping down machines in residential facilities, both inside and outside;
- Cleans bathrooms;
- Shampoos carpets;
- Strips, waxes, and buffs floors;
- Cleans student rooms during building transitions;
- Makes minor repairs to student room furniture;
- Installs window treatments, as directed, and replaces light bulbs;
- Cleans selected offices and classrooms;
- During performance of duties, note and report items to supervisor requiring repair of any suspicious or unlawful items around the facility;
- Pick-up and disposal of trash from residential buildings;
- Loads and unloads furniture and other materials and transports to designated locations;
- Is considered an essential employee for the OHRL in regards to severe weather;
- Is required to work on a rotating basis to ensure evening and weekend coverage;
- Is subject to recall after hours in the event of campus emergencies, disasters or other special needs as directed by management;
- Reports all matters of safety to the appropriate supervisor;
- Communicates to Lead Housekeeper the need for additional cleaning supplies to maintain the appropriate level in respective housekeeping closets;
- Performs snow and ice removal as directed;
- Picks up and makes deliveries of supplies;
- Maintains acceptable attendance record and punctuality, and meets deadlines;
- Promptly reports accidents on the job, preparing and submitting accident reports; and
- When instructed, attends and participates effectively in training sessions and meetings.
- High school education and related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired;
- Ability to read and understand safety procedures, and read and follow cleaning instructions and schedules;
- Ability to practice effective oral communication skills with students, faculty, and staff;
- Ability to read, understand and abide by all safety policies and procedures;
- General knowledge of cleaning terms and safety procedures related to hazardous cleaning chemicals;
- Must have the ability to work independently, without close supervision;
- Ability to remain calm during stress periods; and
- Because of the nature of this position and frequent verbal contact, candidates should have a proper command of the English language.
- Ability to frequently perform work involving safely and independently moving between 20 and 40 pounds;
- Talking, climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, standing, walking, lifting, pushing, pulling, fingering and grasping, close visual acuity; and
- Ability to withstand both environmental conditions (activities occur inside and outside) and hazards.
- Preference provided for candidates with prior residential university, hotel or multiresidential community housekeeping experience;
- Bilingual abilities (English/Spanish);
- Experience in the use of mechanical cleaning equipment; and
- A valid driver’s license with a good driving record and insurable.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 09474z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter (optional), resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
Mason Ad Statement
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Department: UL - Office of Housing and Residence Life (OHRL)
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check
Motor Vehicle Background Check: No
Restricted Position?: Yes, is not eligible for layoff or severance benefits.
Job Category: Classified Staff
Role (State) Job Title: Housekeeping and Apparel Worker I
Working Title: Housekeeper
Job Type: Full-Time
Position Number: 09474z
Recruit Number: Staff - 8389
Pay Band: Payband 1
Salary: $27,191 plus benefits.
For Full Consideration, Apply by: October 25, 2017
Posting Date: 10/12/2017
Open Until Filled?: Yes
Telework Friendly?: No
Equity Statement: George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Campus Safety Information: Mason’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at http://police.gmu.edu/annual-security-report/